Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion dv6 2134-eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi!

I have the following issue with my laptop. When I turn it on, text characters appear misplaced and their position is shifted even before Windows booting screen. As it boots to Windows, chess-like patterns are present on the welcome screen. I can access Task Manager (by using Ctrl+Alt+Del), but that is pretty much I can do. It operates normally in the Safe Mode, but horizontal stripes are there on the screen. As I move cursor through them, they disappear, but return again as the arrow moves away. Can you tell me, what might be wrong and how I can fix it?

Thank you in advance

Welcome screen 1.jpg

BIOS screen.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Snorlax,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having display issues on your HP notebook. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you check for any damage on the PC?

Have you tried to update the drivers?

Have you checked if the issue persists even in the Bios screen?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard Reset on the Notebook:

Step 1: Performing a hard reset: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Step 2: Connecting an external monitor to test the display

The notebook screen display might remain black when there is a corrupted graphics driver or a problem with the LCD display backlight. To test the display, attach an external monitor and restart the computer. Testing with an external display is helpful if the notebook display is black but you can hear sounds; such as fans, spinning drives, or beep tones that indicate the computer is operating.

Step 3:  Boot the computer into the Bios screen and check if the screen is distorted.

1. Turn off your computer
2. Make sure you have connected the power cable
3. Turn on your notebook, as it is starting press the  F10 button repeatedly

Once you are in the BIOS, if the screen is distorted, it is likely a hardware failure. The next two steps may resolve the issue. The first one is to do a hard reset. I have included the document 'Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset'. The next and final step is to perform a BIOS update. I have included the information here for you 'Updating the BIOS' as well as updating the graphics card drivers from our HP Support website, using this link.

Please respond to this post with the details and the result of the troubleshooting for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet!

Thank you fopr your reply.  I followed your advices and got such results.

1. Hard reset did not help.

2.  I connected the laptop to the TV by HDMI cable and instead of booting to Windows I got blue screen. Later, I used BlueScreenView to read the dump file. It said:

Dump File         : 052717-11762-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 27.05.2017 19:20:17
Bug Check String  :
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000116
Parameter 1       : fffffa80`056fd010
Parameter 2       : fffff880`03a84d9c
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000002
Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+5d000
File Description  : DirectX Graphics Kernel
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+80640
Stack Address 1   :
Stack Address 2   :
Stack Address 3   :
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\052717-11762-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 2
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 428 760
Dump File Time    : 27.05.2017 19:24:30

3. I downloaded the latest BIOS version, but could not install it, since I cannot do anything in the Normal Mode, and in the Safe Mode the system does not allow me to install any software.

Can you give any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance

HP Recommended

Hi @Snorlax,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I see that you have tried to follow the steps suggested and still having the issue. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve your issue.

I just wanted to check if you see horizontal stripes on the Bios screen If so, this is definitely a hardware issue. 

If the PC works fine on the Bios and since you have already tried updating the Bios and graphics card drives, I would suggest you could try to perform a system recovery to isolate if it's a software or hardware issue.

Before running the recovery, I would suggest you try to run the System diagnostics test from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Please follow the steps suggested and get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again, Jeet!

Thank you for keeping your interest to my laptop issue.

1. I did the Start Up test (F2) in BIOS, no error messages.

2. I did the Run In test (F3) in BIOS, no error messages.

3. When I tried to preform System Recovery (F11), it took me to Windows booting screen.

Can I do System Recovery in some other way?

I am starting to think that it is a hardware issue after all

Thank you for your time

HP Recommended

Hi @Snorlax,

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to update the graphics card drivers from our HP Support website, using this link. Also,  I would suggest you try to run the System diagnostics test from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fosset!

1.  I downloaded the latest graphic card driver for my laptop version, but could not install it, since I cannot do anything in the Normal Mode, and in the Safe Mode the system does not allow me to install any software.

2. I did the Start Up test once more  (F2) in BIOS, no error messages.

3. I did the Run In test (F3) in BIOS, no error messages.

4. When I tried to preform System Recovery (F11), it took me to Windows booting screen.

Are ther any ways to run graphic card test ousude Windows?

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.